[LEAPSECS] What's the point?

Poul-Henning Kamp phk at phk.freebsd.dk
Wed Feb 9 15:08:17 EST 2011

In message <E97E8012-CC6F-4948-B291-A8286887390E at noao.edu>, Rob Seaman writes:

>Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:

>> What "authority" would that be, and what powers would it have ?

>Per SERVICE INTERNATIONAL DE LA ROTATION TERRESTRE ET DES SYSTEMES DE REFERENCE, we know that:

> "NO positive leap second will be introduced at the end of June 2011."

Please try to answer my question, rather than cite a document which at
best has the legal force of "friendly advice".

What would happen to a country, for examples sake, lets assume USA,
if it decided not follow Daniels recommendation ?

I'm sure the director of BIPM would *love* to try it out with respect
to the inches/meter detail...

Poul-Henning

phk at FreeBSD.ORG | TCP/IP since RFC 956
FreeBSD committer | BSD since 4.3-tahoe