[LEAPSECS] Crunching Bulletin B numbers (POSIX time)

Paul Sheer p at 2038bug.com
Sun Feb 20 22:32:28 EST 2011

> [...] But so what? It'll report 00:00:03 Monday when it's "really"

> 23:59:57 Sunday --- why is this small number of seconds any more

> important than any other small number of seconds error? [...]

A miss is as good as a mile when a timestamp is an index into a hash
table.

There are many complex systems in this world that do a lot of wierd
things with timestamps.

These systems don't care whether the event really did happen at
12:34:56pm nor whether the clock was a few minutes slow that day.

But they DO care that they are talking about the SAME event!!!

Imagine a complex business environment represented by a large block
diagram. Data, including fields that contain timestamps, propagate
around this block diagram -

We can't have timestamps gaining or loosing one second because they
happen to pass through a block that represented a system where
the leap second table was out of date -

BECAUSE that timestamp may be an identifier.

The fact that the timestamp was MINUTES wrong at the time it was
created is entirely irrelevant.

It must still stay the same no matter what conversion functions
are applied to it.

This is the very useful properly that Posix time currently has.

This property is FAR more useful than caesium clocks, GPS, or
any pico-second time syncronization technology anyone has ever
thought of.

-paul