[LEAPSECS] Crunching Bulletin B numbers (POSIX time)

Ask Bjørn Hansen ask at develooper.com
Mon Feb 21 12:59:18 EST 2011

On Feb 21, 2011, at 1:03, leapsecs-request at leapsecond.com wrote:

> A complex business environment which nonetheless cannot perform one bit of I/O per eighteen months. A complex business system which nonetheless cannot interact with NTP, MSF/DCF77/WWV or GPS? I think you're making something up to bolster a point, not referring to any real business environment.

As I mentioned some weeks ago, as far as I can tell plenty (GPS/NTP/CDMA/...) equipment is already failing at the "one bit of I/O" as it is. Leap seconds already don't work for some period after each adjustment. Making timekeeping more complex for the general use case ("count a second at a time, 60 seconds a minute, be able to compare my time to yours") is DOOMED.

- ask

--
Ask Bjørn Hansen, http://askask.com/