[LEAPSECS] New Year in Times Square

Daniel R. Tobias dan at tobias.name
Sat Jan 1 00:05:39 EST 2011

I just watched the ball drop in Times Square (on TV, not in person!),
and noticed that my watch (auto-synced daily via radio signal) was
about 15 seconds fast compared to the countdown clock used by the
Times Square people and the TV network. So what time standard do
they use for syncing, and why does it differ from mine? (My PC clock
was a few seconds slower than Times Square, and it's also regularly
synced via the Internet.)

Maybe all these clocks are just so inaccurate they drift that much
between resyncings. Probably most of the world's clocks are like
that, which makes the great angst over leap seconds seem pointless
from the standpoint of the vast majority of the public.

--
== Dan ==