[LEAPSECS] New Year in Times Square

Brian Garrett mgy1912 at cox.net
Sat Jan 1 16:11:34 EST 2011

A number of New Year's Eves ago (that number being probably around 15 at
this point) I remember seeing a news program interview the crew that was
setting up that year's Times Square ball drop. They specifically asked what
the crew used to control the timing. The crew said that everything was
hooked up to an atomic clock and that its connection to the circuitry ran
the entire show (the ceremonial button-pushing by the mayor being just
that). As I recall, this was not a leap-second occasion so no-one needed to
work around 23:59:60.

Nowadays the ball drop seems to have even more bells and whistles (and
fireworks, something I don't believe the Times Square event had back in the
'90s)., so the need for atomic timekeeping would be even more essential, I
would think. At least, I would hope so. I'd hate to think there was some
guy with an "atomic" desk clock from Wal-Mart shouting "NOW!"

Brian

P.S. My own comparison of last night's festivities to accurate time
according to my radio-controlled watch and SNTP-synced computer showed a
nine-second delay on ABC and a 13 to 17 second delay at various points in
the broadcast on NBC. I didn't pay close attention to CNN's live broadcast
but it seemed to be in the neighborhood of 12 seconds plus or minus one
second.