[LEAPSECS] Focus in the debate, alternative proposal

Keith Winstein keithw at mit.edu
Thu Jan 6 19:42:23 EST 2011

On Thu, Jan 6, 2011 at 6:58 PM, Nero Imhard <nimh at pipe.nl> wrote:

> So here's a proposal for making UTC more workable in the long run: let's alternate positive

> and negative leap seconds! Each year should have at least two

> Somewhow I can't imagine mine is a novel idea.

Hi Nero,

Yes, it's similar to Tom Van Baak's proposal for a "Leap Second Every
Month" (positive or negative) that he sent out in November and
generated some discussion
(http://six.pairlist.net/pipermail/leapsecs/2010-November/001813.html)
which was close to Ed Davies's proposal in 2003
(http://www.ucolick.org/~sla/navyls/0197.html).

I haven't followed the official debate much over the last five years
(not that it was particularly followable anyway), but as of 2005 I
doubt this would have satisfied the American delegation's concerns
about safety and the inconvenience of leap seconds.

Best,
Keith