[LEAPSECS] Focus in the debate, alternative proposal

Rob Seaman seaman at noao.edu
Fri Jan 7 09:37:05 EST 2011

On Jan 7, 2011, at 6:08 AM, Zefram wrote:

> Currently, a June leap second can occur while far-east markets are open.

There is nothing magic about the end of the month scheduling. It has some advantages, that's all.

DST adjustments on the other hand are (usually? always? some places? everywhere?) scheduled for Sundays at local 2am.

As discussed, we can't apply leap seconds using local scheduling - BUT nothing stops us from requiring that they be applied only on Sundays. I haven't had my coffee yet, but I believe this would result in their happening at midday in Greenwich - but it would be midday on a Sunday. Would have to think about the issues with the international date line, etc and so forth.

This could even be turned into a media event. Drop the ball - the original ball, not that upstart in Times Square - for each leap second. Build on the strengths of the issues, don't try to plaster over the weaknesses.

Rob