[LEAPSECS] The Battle of Flodden Field

Tony Finch dot at dotat.at
Sun Jan 9 14:32:13 EST 2011

On Sat, 8 Jan 2011, Rob Seaman wrote:

> I do not believe the unstated magic timezone notion (if indeed that is

> an idea motivating the authors of the draft in front of the ITU) can

> work (or rather, I do not believe that this notion corresponds to a

> solution of the problem).

It really depends whether you think easy access to a sub-second accurate
realisation of UT1 is part of the problem.

The proposed arrangement of local timezone offsets applied to an atomic
timescale only gives you access to local mean solar time accurate to
couple of hours or so, which is pretty useless for astronomy or
astronavigation but is good enough for civil purposes since that is what
the timezone system has given us for the last 50 or 100 years.

Tony.
--
f.anthony.n.finch <dot at dotat.at> http://dotat.at/
HUMBER THAMES DOVER WIGHT PORTLAND: NORTH BACKING WEST OR NORTHWEST, 5 TO 7,