[LEAPSECS] Looking-glass, through

Matsakis, Demetrios matsakis.demetrios at usno.navy.mil
Fri Jan 14 11:45:12 EST 2011

I can't help with the flying cars, but UTC does "deliver" a frequency
that is the most precisely and accurately measured quantity known to
humans. Time is the integral of that frequency, and over one
leapsecond-less day a frequency error of 1.E-12 corresponds to a time
error of 86400*1.E-12 = 86 nanoseconds.

The USNO and BIPM web pages give our algorithms, though it takes a bit
of clicking. The basic idea is that each clock's systematic errors in
time, frequency and/or frequency drift are corrected for and the result
goes into a weighted average.