[LEAPSECS] Java: ThreeTen/JSR-310

Gerard Ashton ashtongj at comcast.net
Thu Jan 27 21:26:24 EST 2011

The issue I have with the Java classes explained by Stephen Colebourne
is the use of UTC-SLS. This is a proposal that exists on an individual's
web site. The existence and reputation of the website are subject to the
future actions of the individual. It is also available as an inactive
IETF draft. I don't think it is a good idea to base an aspect of an
important language like Java on a timescale with no official
recognition. If a similar substitute cannot be found, and no official
recognition for UTC-SLS can be obtained, I would suggest incorporating
the entire text of the UTC-SLS proposal into the Java specification.

Gerry Ashton