[LEAPSECS] Java: ThreeTen/JSR-310

Tom Van Baak tvb at LeapSecond.com
Fri Jan 28 12:15:41 EST 2011

> @Warner, UTC-SLS is simply a clearly written way to reconcile UTC to

> practical computing/business. I wish it was a recognised standard, but

> it isn't. That places me in the position of making it a de facto

> standard unless I receive a suitable alternative proposal. 8 million+

> Java developers are the market here.

Stephen,

Given your position of influence I'm very pleased you're
reaching out for the correct decision and that it's not too
late for a discussion.

I'm not sure of dates, but it seems Java has been around for
many years by now. What have these 8 million developers
and all their apps done until now with respect to UTC?

Related to that, do you know how your timing requirements
or proposals jive with all the new OS's that have arrived of
late (iOS, Android, Windows Mobile 7, etc.)?

/tvb