[LEAPSECS] Java: ThreeTen/JSR-310

Gerard Ashton ashtongj at comcast.net
Fri Jan 28 16:00:25 EST 2011

I would not fully agree with Tom Van Baak. True, most of the users on
the planet
have no need for sub-second accuracy, except for systems that they have
no internal
access to (e.g. GPS). But usually they have a requirement to not be
presented with
representations that most software cannot handle, such as
11:59:60. A few might have a requirement to deal with such a representation
when they have the misfortune to encounter it.

Many users, or the software they rely on without understanding the
underlying details,
have a requirement that time increase monotonically, so they may need
sub-second precision
without needing sub-second accuracy.

Gerard Ashton