[LEAPSECS] Java: ThreeTen/JSR-310

Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Fri Jan 28 17:07:52 EST 2011

On 01/28/2011 11:34, Gerard Ashton wrote:

> Windows and Unix have general reputations of not doing it right; does

> anyone know of a hardware/operating system combination that handles

> leap seconds correctly? If so, does it have a defined approach to

> providing a quasi-UTC that hides leap seconds to applications that

> wish to live in blissful ignorance?

FreeBSD handles them correctly, within the bounds imposed by POSIX. For
the traditional interface, we repeat the last second of the day (since
POSIX is silent/ambiguous on what the right behavior is during a leap
second). For the NTP interface, we publish the right bits of data so
that people can know a leap second is happening, if they want.

Of course the phrase 'within the bounds imposed by POSIX' is a huge
weasel phrase, sucking all the meaning out of the word correct for many
people...

Warner