[LEAPSECS] tinkering with time ?

Rob Seaman seaman at noao.edu
Mon Jan 31 10:41:59 EST 2011

On Jan 31, 2011, at 1:07 AM, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:

> I pointed out a long time ago, that if astronomers played their cards right, this would be a funding opportunity for much needed renovations...

Bwa-ha-ha-ha!

>> Calling any such new timescale something other than "UTC" (or not UT-anything, for that matter - since it no-way no-how would be a flavor of universal time), is the easiest way for the ITU to mitigate unintended project risks.

> And to not achieve the object.

Define "the object". ...Or rather, what is the goal of the ITU faction pressing this initiative?

Is there really a requirement to render the concept of "universal time" meaningless? Or is UTC merely collateral damage from an intellectually lazy campaign to "suppress TAI"?

Is "the object" of this ITU faction very widely shared? It is obviously true that there are other groups who disagree with "the object".

Rob