[LEAPSECS] Meeting with Wayne Whyte

Steve Allen sla at ucolick.org
Mon Jan 31 13:58:34 EST 2011

On Mon 2011-01-31T18:33:42 +0000, Poul-Henning Kamp hath writ:

> And you don't think a software update in the next 8-10 years could fix

> that issue, given that DoD is likely to lean on the vendor to get

> this fixed ?

A more relevant question is the likelihood of a successful result,
and about that I can't easily opine.

However, the issues with the system were unknown until I had extensive
discussions with the vendor team. The DoD document which asserts that
it would be okay to abandon leap seconds in UTC was signed before
these discussions. That implies that DoD never asked such questions.

--
Steve Allen <sla at ucolick.org> WGS-84 (GPS)
UCO/Lick Observatory Natural Sciences II, Room 165 Lat +36.99855