[LEAPSECS] Get off my lawn!

Steve Allen sla at ucolick.org
Sat Jun 18 13:16:32 EDT 2011

On 2011 Jun 18, at 09:45, Ian Batten wrote:

> That paper claims that GPS time follows UTC (USNO) "modulo one second". I'm trying to think of any meaning of the word "modulo", be it from discrete mathematics, HAKMEM or anywhere else, with which that makes sense. Can anyone hazard a guess at the meaning that is intended?

That is the language directly from ICD-200, now IS-GPS-200, the document
which defines how GPS shall work.

The OCS shall control the GPS time scale to be within
one microsecond of UTC (modulo one second).

To wit, in the spec GPS time is based on UTC, not on TAI.

--
Steve Allen <sla at ucolick.org> WGS-84 (GPS)
UCO/Lick Observatory Natural Sciences II, Room 165 Lat +36.99855