[LEAPSECS] Get off my lawn!

Poul-Henning Kamp phk at phk.freebsd.dk
Mon Jun 20 17:51:16 EDT 2011

In message <66081CE0-2C07-4407-96C6-9E53239EFF0E at batten.eu.org>, Ian Batten wri
tes:

>> If you want a relevant technical precedent, look at the OSI protocols:

>> They were ITU standards which everybody ignored in preference for

>> TCP/IP

>> which actually worked.

>If only everybody had ignored them. In some European countries,

Tell me about it.

22 years ago I first wrote a OSI stack all the way up to TP4 with
NetBIOS on top, then we scrapped the entire thing and installed
TCP/IP on all the European Parliaments computers, over the loud and
nasty looking objects of the European Commission.

But the point remains: ITU cannot *force* people to use their
standards, thus my comment about the dubious reach of their arm.

phk at FreeBSD.ORG | TCP/IP since RFC 956
FreeBSD committer | BSD since 4.3-tahoe