[LEAPSECS] current ITU-R TF.460 situation

Steve Allen sla at ucolick.org
Mon Jun 27 21:24:09 EDT 2011

In an openly-available document the ITU-R CACE issued Circular 539
http://www.itu.int/md/R00-CACE-CIR-0539&type=sitems/en
to all member states pointing out that the draft revision of TF.460
is coming to the RA for a vote next year.

This document gives dates of the recent ITU-R events, as WP7A failed
to achieve consensus in 2009 and passed it up to SG7, and SG7 surveyed
in 2010 and again found no consensus and passed it up to be voted on
at the RA.

The Circular poses these questions to the member states.

Do you support maintaining the current arrangement of linking UT1
and UTC (to provide an approximate celestial time reference by the
use of a stepped atomic time scale)?

Would you support the revision of Recommendation ITU-R TF.460-6 to
provide a continuous time scale?

(In any case could you explain your reasons?)

I'm going to wish I could see those responses.

--
Steve Allen <sla at ucolick.org> WGS-84 (GPS)
UCO/Lick Observatory--ISB Natural Sciences II, Room 165 Lat +36.99855