[LEAPSECS] internet drafts about zoneinfo

Joe Gwinn joegwinn at comcast.net
Fri Mar 4 17:13:41 EST 2011

At 7:51 AM -0700 3/4/11, Rob Seaman wrote:

>On Mar 4, 2011, at 2:55 AM, Tony Finch wrote:

>> No, posix time is UT and timezones are based on UT.

>Just to be clear, the ITU has no putative or actual authority over a

>time scale called "UT". If POSIX requires Universal Time, and if

>POSIX has any actual pertinence to the UTC shenanigans (rather than

>just being a convenient talking point) - well, then - UTC must

>remain UT.

POSIX has nothing whatsoever to do with UT.

Nor is POSIX Time the same as UTC, even though the notional timescale
origin is defined using the UTC timescale.

As I have said many times, in theory POSIX time is a form of TAI,
being a constant offset from TAI, but in practice (for those who care
enough to buy the hardware), POSIX Time is whatever GPS distributed
NTP say it is.

This has been beaten to death in the TimeNuts and LeapSeconds archives.

Joe Gwinn