[LEAPSECS] internet drafts about zoneinfo

Poul-Henning Kamp phk at phk.freebsd.dk
Sat Mar 5 15:50:38 EST 2011

In message <6F823DEC-C9C3-410B-805A-82AAD93E1F2D at noao.edu>, Rob Seaman writes:

>So, if the ITU voted in a time scale with 86413 SI-seconds per day

>or a two-ticks-forward-one-tock-back timekeeping scheme or a

>Doctor-Who-on-psychodelics or [...]

They did that around 40 years ago ;-)

>POSIX therefore doesn't seem to place any actual requirements on

>the whole timekeeping shtick does it?

POSIX and Open Group standards are appearantly in "read-only" mode,
for reasons of politics I have not been able to get to the bottom of.

The most likely standard group to sort out trouble, should the
Doctor-Who-on-psycodelics timescale continue, is a very good
question. My bet: it will be a cabal of open source people.

Poul-Henning

phk at FreeBSD.ORG | TCP/IP since RFC 956
FreeBSD committer | BSD since 4.3-tahoe