[LEAPSECS] internet drafts about zoneinfo

Tony Finch dot at dotat.at
Sun Mar 6 20:55:23 EST 2011

On 5 Mar 2011, at 16:27, Joe Gwinn <joegwinn at comcast.net> wrote:

> At 2:27 PM +0000 3/5/11, Tony Finch wrote:

>> On 4 Mar 2011, at 22:13, Joe Gwinn <joegwinn at comcast.net> wrote:

>>> As I have said many times, in theory POSIX time is a form of TAI, being a constant offset from TAI,

>> Wrong in every respect.

> Could you be more specific?

There is no "in theory" since POSIX is a practical specification. The specification says time_t is based on UTC. POSIX time has never been a constant offset from TAI. What has been said many times is that it might be nice to change POSIX time to be based on TAI but if you try it you find that this breaks most timekeeping code.

Tony.
--
f.anthony.n.finch <dot at dotat.at> http://dotat.at/