[LEAPSECS] Following an open source process

Rob Seaman seaman at noao.edu
Sun Mar 6 19:29:46 EST 2011

Hi Tom,

Thanks for the opportunity to wrestle over the requirements. By focusing on the definition of the single common shared problem, we naturally constrain the ultimate solution space.

>> - the civil day is the synodic day

> Rob, please define "is". Surely you don't mean equality, in a

> mathematical sense. What really is meant by this statement?

What are you offering as an alternative definition?

Just as the rate of TAI is the SI-second, the rate of universal time is the synodic day. Civil timekeeping - time kept for a multitude of purposes for our society's cultural and technical purposes - is obviously connected to the the day-and-night cadence of our calendar.

Timekeeping provokes many subtle discussions. There is nothing subtle about the synodic day. Our calendars don't count fractional or approximate days, our calendars - Gregorian, Chinese, Hebrew, whatever - count integral days. Those days are mean solar days, i.e., synodic days.

> You bring this topic up a lot. But everyone knows civil time is

> now only grossly associated with anything solar; it doesn't match

> at the second level, not even the minute level, though usually near

> an hour or two, the equivalent of hundreds or thousands of miles.

...and I also reject assertions like this paragraph a lot. Apparent solar time is a red herring. The actual day on earth is the sidereal day - the rotation of the Earth relative to the stars. The actual year is 366.25 of these days long. The synodic day is the sidereal rate adjusted to account for lapping the Sun by one integer day per year. One can quibble about the details, but the basic mechanism is clear.

Discrepancies due to the equation of time or an offset from the standard meridian of the local time zone are either static (in the latter case) or periodic (in the former). Rather, the ITU intends to insert a secular tilt to the entire clock-and-calendar mechanism. They are attempting to redefine the day and year on Earth, not just mucking about with some technicality of a leap second mechanism.

Here is a picture of length-of-day: