[LEAPSECS] internet drafts about zoneinfo

Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Mon Mar 7 16:53:05 EST 2011

On 03/06/2011 18:55, Tony Finch wrote:

> On 5 Mar 2011, at 16:27, Joe Gwinn<joegwinn at comcast.net> wrote:

>>> Wrong in every respect.

>> Could you be more specific?

> There is no "in theory" since POSIX is a practical specification. The specification says time_t is based on UTC. POSIX time has never been a constant offset from TAI. What has been said many times is that it might be nice to change POSIX time to be based on TAI but if you try it you find that this breaks most timekeeping code.

POSIX time_t is a lossy mapping function from UTC second labels
(complete with :60) to a counter. Leap second ambiguously map to some
time_t value that is the same as another second (they have to map to
something during the leapsecond, if nothing else). This mapping is both
lossy (because you can't undo it unambiguously) and ambiguous (since the
standard insists that leap seconds don't exist).

This makes it more like a drunken TAI that has 'episodes' every 18
months or so where things are a little unstead and wind up a little
further away from TAI after each one...

Warner