[LEAPSECS] internet drafts about zoneinfo (POSIX Time)

Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Wed Mar 9 00:04:33 EST 2011

On 03/08/2011 10:08, Joseph M Gwinn wrote:

> I guess that "one second per SI second" wasn't precise enough.

I've described it to coworkers as "time_t is one second per SI second,
steady state." Leap seconds perturb this steady-state in any number of
implemetnation dependent ways:

(1) Time stops for a second.
(2) The last second of the day repeats
(3) The first second of the day repeats
(4) Time slews from N seconds before midnight to N seconds after midnight
(5) Nothing happens, until NTP notices the phase error and steers it out
(6) Nothing happens, and time is wrong.

But I'm not sure how much of this is actually mandated by the standard,
and how much is reading between the lines. :)

Since the standard doesn't define what happens around leap seconds, all
of the above behaviors are conformant.

Warner