[LEAPSECS] Far past and far future

Clive D.W. Feather clive at davros.org
Thu May 26 18:00:40 EDT 2011

Rob Seaman said:

>> But how long term is that? Does anyone have figures on how far back or

>> forward I can project based on that figure? What was the length of the day

>> in the time of the dinosaurs?

> The abstract to the reference in Steve's reply rather suggests a number of 22 SI-hours at 620 MYA (ymmv).

The whole paper suggests:
18.8 hours at 2450 Ma
20.8 hours at 900 Ma
21.9 hours at 620 Ma

Converting the paper's numbers into smooth curves for angular momentum and
lunar distance and then back-calculating, that projects into the future as:

30 hours at 1000 My
48 hours at 2100 My

The latter, allegedly, is when increased solar radiation will boil the
oceans and effectively stop tidal coupling.

--
Clive D.W. Feather | If you lie to the compiler,
Email: clive at davros.org | it will get its revenge.