[LEAPSECS] Far past and far future

Richard B. Langley lang at unb.ca
Thu May 26 22:07:07 EDT 2011

According to Google Scholar, there have been 79 citations of that
paper. Likely, the true number of citations is higher.

A more recent paper that might be of interest is "Lunar Core and
Mantle. What Does LLR See?"
http://cddis.gsfc.nasa.gov/lw16/docs/papers/sci_1_Williams_p.pdf

Although I was involved in LLR data analysis as a postdoctoral fellow
at MIT between 1979 and 1981, I concentrated on the intra-annual
variations in the length of day (and their association with changes in
atmospheric angular momentum) rather than the decadal and longer
variations. That work was written up in Nature.
http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v294/n5843/abs/294730a0.html

Oh, to be a postdoc again (except for the low rate of pay)!

-- Richard

Quoting Rob Seaman <seaman at noao.edu>:

> On May 24, 2011, at 3:58 PM, Steve Allen wrote:

>> On Tue 2011-05-24T23:01:35 +0100, Clive D.W. Feather hath writ:

>>> What was the length of the day in the time of the dinosaurs?

>> If there's a better reference than Williams somebody please say so.

>> http://www.agu.org/pubs/crossref/2000/1999RG900016.shtml

> The paper itself is available from:

> http://www.eos.ubc.ca/~mjelline/453website/eosc453/E_prints/1999RG900016.pdf

> There are a large number of references that would be worth following

> up. It would certainly be good to know what's been going on over

> the past dozen years while this contingent leap second discussion

> has occurred.

> Rob

| Richard B. Langley E-mail: lang at unb.ca |

| Geodetic Research Laboratory Web: http://www.unb.ca/GGE/ |

| Dept. of Geodesy and Geomatics Engineering Phone: +1 506 453-5142 |

| University of New Brunswick Fax: +1 506 453-4943 |

| Fredericton, N.B., Canada E3B 5A3 |

| Fredericton? Where's that? See: http://www.fredericton.ca/ |