[LEAPSECS] No leapseconds on trains

Poul-Henning Kamp phk at phk.freebsd.dk
Thu Nov 17 13:21:14 EST 2011

In message <1ED491E6-004F-4571-AFDF-FEFD4C255E26 at noao.edu>, Rob Seaman writes:

>On Nov 17, 2011, at 10:52 AM, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:

>> You seem to have misunderstood something very fundamental here:

>You are the one that started by describing a Danish project management scandal.

And you are the one who didn't bother to read and understand the entire
email, before you unleashed one of your sermons ?

>> UIC is the International Union of Railroads. UIC 556 affects all railroads in the world.

>So that means [...]

No, that means that all trains built in the last approx 10 years, are
built without handling for leapseconds.

For further reading, I can recommend the ERTMS(2) family of standards,
they integrate all trains in a control-domain in a wireless network
and does away with red/green lamps.

phk at FreeBSD.ORG | TCP/IP since RFC 956
FreeBSD committer | BSD since 4.3-tahoe