[LEAPSECS] No leapseconds on trains

Steve Allen sla at ucolick.org
Thu Nov 17 16:48:46 EST 2011

On Thu 2011-11-17T21:38:56 +0000, Poul-Henning Kamp hath writ:

> Hence the "pretty much any", in addition to MVS, I only know one

> other operating system which is configured to deal with leapseconds

> by default.

That feature evolved from IBM S/390 into z/OS.
The manual which describes how to use it is
http://publib-b.boulder.ibm.com/abstracts/sg242070.html?Open
It contains an interesting regurgitation of how time scales sortof work.

The description of how to use the Leap Second Offset is amazingly fiddly
in a fashion that is scary to presume one has read correctly.

The discussions I've found on the net imply that pretty much nobody
uses that feature. Some such systems systems seem not to bother
because they have been running since before there was a GMT offset
notion, so they actually keep local time.

--
Steve Allen <sla at ucolick.org> WGS-84 (GPS)
UCO/Lick Observatory--ISB Natural Sciences II, Room 165 Lat +36.99855