[LEAPSECS] No leapseconds on trains

Clive D.W. Feather clive at davros.org
Fri Nov 18 11:48:43 EST 2011

Paul J. Ste. Marie said:

>> Hmm. In the UK the working timetable (not the public one) is written to a

>> precision of half a minute.

> This wasn't the timetable. Its main purpose, as I understood it, was to provide a record of where trains were, or where the dispatchers thought they were, in the event of an accident.

Okay.

> The logged locations weren't stops on the lines.

Hmm, they may well be logging each track circuit transition (I belive that
SSIs here do that). In which case a second is about the right granularity;
TRs normally have a delayed pick of a couple of seconds for safety reasons,
and the reporting time from trackside module to interlocking runs on a
basic cycle of several hundred milliseconds. So a 1 second error isn't
going to faze anyone.

--
Clive D.W. Feather | If you lie to the compiler,
Email: clive at davros.org | it will get its revenge.