[LEAPSECS] Leap smear and Big Ben - clock's penny's replaced

mike cook michael.cook at sfr.fr
Sun Oct 2 02:31:11 EDT 2011

Le 02/10/2011 07:57, mike cook a écrit :

> The clock was made in 1854, though not installed and started in the

> tower until 1859. In those days the penny was 18,8 grams, twice that

> of the 1860 and latter pennies.

> So I wonder which ones are currently in use? If the penny story is

> true I would have thought that pennys available at the time of testing

> and installation would still be there. The halfpenny of the 1825-1860

> period was 9,3 grammes, so maybe the original weights were halfpenny's

> and later swapped with 9.4g penny's.

Just located an article from Reuters dated November 2009,

150-year old pennies removed from London's Big Ben

Three of the 10 coins have now been replaced with a 5 pound crown --
produced as part of the Royal Mint's collection to celebrate the London
2012 Olympics -- which features Big Ben's clock face.

But McCann will keep hold of the old pennies in case they need to be
returned to the pendulum at a future date."

So if Reuters can be believed, the penny's date from the time that the
clock was installed and are thus the 18,8g issue.