[LEAPSECS] Olsen database taken offline

Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Thu Oct 6 15:34:50 EDT 2011

The issue, in a nutshell, is that the Olsen database took facts from a book, transformed them in format and placed them into electronic form. The reaction likely is one of an abundance of caution: STFU and stop if you are sued.

The merits of the case seem weak to me, since database do not have copyright protection. Facts cannot be copyrighted any more than a telephone book. There must be creative content to convey copyright. But I'm no lawyer.

Warner