[LEAPSECS] leap smear

Poul-Henning Kamp phk at phk.freebsd.dk
Fri Sep 16 14:37:06 EDT 2011

In message <p06240801ca9937bef3c3@[192.168.1.101]>, Joe Gwinn writes:

>At 5:20 PM +0000 9/16/11, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:

>>Actually, I don't think it is, because it's not UTC for a lot

>>more time that the leap-second. POSIX time is UTC execept

>>for during leap-seconds.

>POSIX time as defined in the standard is *not* UTC.

No, but the second they use is "nominally equal to an International
System (SI) second in duration." so any rubber-second implementation
which has rubber seconds stretching beyond the actual leap-second
is not POSIX/ISO-C compliant.

phk at FreeBSD.ORG | TCP/IP since RFC 956
FreeBSD committer | BSD since 4.3-tahoe