[LEAPSECS] Leap smear

Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Mon Sep 19 18:23:47 EDT 2011

On Sep 19, 2011, at 9:59 AM, Rob Seaman wrote:

> Rather I love the coherent collection of requirements. Still find it interesting that none of my more "creative" talking points gets under the skin like simply recommending that coherent system engineering best practices be followed.

We agree on that, just disagree what the coherent system requirements are.

> Usual comment about apparent solar time being a red herring. Consider the fact that we moved from apparent solar timekeeping to mean solar timekeeping.

Not at all a red-herring, but rather making a subtle point that we've already moved off of apparent solar time. We're not even using mean solar time, but mean solar time at some arbitrary location. Each step is a step away from being tied to the sun. There are many more steps possible, up to and including just going with atomic time and forgetting the sun.

Warner