[LEAPSECS] Leap smear

Steve Allen sla at ucolick.org
Tue Sep 20 10:29:13 EDT 2011

On 2011 Sep 20, at 04:15, Ian Batten wrote:

> So why aren't all those exotic investigations necessary when

> countries change timezones, which happens with monotonous regularity?

It's a matter of representation. In that case the offset is
1) obvious to any human and customary already for a century
2) completely handled by the tz folks in the zoninfo code and database

Arbitary offsets between civil time and the underlying representation
are a solved problem. Furthermore, Arthur David Olson has managed
the sociology of creating a civil time community which is itself
civil. I think we could learn several things from them.

--
Steve Allen <sla at ucolick.org> WGS-84 (GPS)
UCO/Lick Observatory Natural Sciences II, Room 165 Lat +36.99855