[LEAPSECS] Leap smear

Steve Allen sla at ucolick.org
Tue Sep 20 12:24:25 EDT 2011

On 2011 Sep 20, at 08:49, Stephen Colebourne wrote:

> Plus, there is another more subtle down side. By using tzdata for

> this, it places the control in the hands of politicians. Whereas, up

> until now, the core definition of civil time (GMT/UTC) has essentially

> been controlled by scientists and technologists (sure you might argue

> on some finer details in that claim, but in broad brush I'd argue it

> is very true).

I would say that during the 1884 International Meridian Conference
this battle was already lost. At that point it was a question of
whose conventions, albeit technologically-based, but highly politically
charged conventions. The question is now whether the underlying
convention for time will have any connection to calendar days.

--
Steve Allen <sla at ucolick.org> WGS-84 (GPS)
UCO/Lick Observatory Natural Sciences II, Room 165 Lat +36.99855