[LEAPSECS] Leap smear

Gerard Ashton ashtongj at comcast.net
Sat Sep 24 12:36:17 EDT 2011

The following post seems to emphasize personal preference over societal
agreement about what time it is.
But if UT1 and broadcast time are allowed to part ways, one of them
must, and will be, adopted as the
de facto legal time scale. The difference will quickly become great
enough to matter in computer-mediated
transactions (e.g., whether one's income tax return was filed on time,
or the ending time of an on-line auction.)
In less than a century the difference will be perceptible in
human-to-human transactions (e.g., a student being
punished for tardiness). [The de facto adoption might or might not be
accompanied by a de jure adoption.
In the worst case, one will be adopted for most interactions, but a few
legal interactions will follow the other.]

Gerard Ashton