[LEAPSECS] Leap smear

Ian Batten igb at batten.eu.org
Mon Sep 26 16:11:08 EDT 2011

> Another way to state the underlying requirement is that calendars count integral days. Points awarded for anybody who can make this work for some definition of day that does not remain stationary with respect to mean solar time.

It doesn't currently remain stationary with respect to mean solar time: that's why we have leap seconds. Your argument seems to be that there's something magical about max |DUT1| being ~1s, which wouldn't be satisfied if it were ~10s or ~100s or ~1000s. Why is 1s acceptable and 10s not? When UTC was first confected, the bounds weren't defined like that.

ian