[LEAPSECS] Calendar authority

Tony Finch dot at dotat.at
Tue Apr 10 07:19:51 EDT 2012

Clive D.W. Feather <clive at davros.org> wrote:

> Markus Kuhn said:

> > I don't think the authority of ISO to define what calendar we use is

> > any higher than (say) the authority of Wikipedia on such matters. They

> > both are merely widely-respected committees reporting on what the

> > current consensus is.

> Indeed. This is clearly something in the remit of national governments.

> See, for example, 24 Geo.2 c.23 or the decision of the National Convention

> on 1793-10-24.

Individual national governments don't have much authority to legislate
calendars - the Easter Act 1928 is a nice example. It's a matter of
international consensus, and the world is much bigger and more
interconnected than in the 1500s.

Tony.
--
f.anthony.n.finch <dot at dotat.at> http://dotat.at/
Rockall, Malin: Northwest 5 to 7, decreasing 4 at times. Rough or very rough.