[LEAPSECS] It's a cable...

Markus Kuhn Markus.Kuhn at cl.cam.ac.uk
Thu Feb 23 08:16:56 EST 2012

Greg Hennessy wrote on 2012-02-23 00:21 UTC:

> I don't understand how tightening a cable can lead to 60 ns of path length

> change. It would be nice to have a written explanation, rather than just

> an article quoting someone who knows something that someone said.

Rather off-topic here, given this mailing list is clearly dedicated to
clocks being wrong by integer multiples of 1000000000 ns ...

Anyway, the CERN press release actually mentions two potential problems
discovered so far in the time signal chain, which might have affected
the result (in opposite directions!):

http://press.web.cern.ch/press/PressReleases/Releases2011/PR19.11E.html

Markus

--
Markus Kuhn, Computer Laboratory, University of Cambridge
http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/ || CB3 0FD, Great Britain