[LEAPSECS] other ignored leap conventions

Ian Batten igb at batten.eu.org
Fri Feb 24 12:31:44 EST 2012

On 24 Feb 2012, at 16:41, Steve Allen wrote:

> According to Emperor, Pope, and Parliament years divisible by 4 are to

> be bissextile. Today is the second sixth day before the end of

> February, so today is leap day. I expect it is hard to find any

> software which implements this as specified in the documents.

Given the only effect is to extend February to 29 days, what test would you apply to a piece of software to distinguish the two cases (ie "leapday" 24 and "leapday" 29?) Aside from traditions about women proposing to men, which Unix doesn't need to implement, the two cases are indistinguishable.

ian