[LEAPSECS] other ignored leap conventions

Ian Batten igb at batten.eu.org
Fri Feb 24 14:52:19 EST 2012

On 24 Feb 2012, at 17:59, Tony Finch wrote:

> Zefram <zefram at fysh.org> wrote:

>> And that was obvious when days were routinely described by those

>> labels, today and tomorrow both being "ante diem [bis] sextum Kalends

>> Martius".

> St Mattias day was ante diem sextum kalendas martii, so it usually occured

> on the 24th February, but on the 25th in bissextile years. He was moved to

> May by the reform of the Roman Catholic calendar of saints in 1969.

Steve's original claim was about "acts of parliament". Assuming that means the parliament in London (which would also, at the time, have been legislating for what is now the USA), I refer to http://goo.gl/gL9oH, Calendar (New Style) Act 1750 S.6, which fixes St Matthias on Feb 24 (in, for the avoidance of doubt, a table that mentions Feb 29).

ian