[LEAPSECS] "China move could call time on GMT"

Tony Finch dot at dotat.at
Wed Jan 4 14:45:39 EST 2012

Steve Allen <sla at ucolick.org> wrote:

> Happy New Year!

> How did I tell that it became the new year?

> By the civil calendar date changing from Dec 31 to Jan 1.

> How did I tell when the civil calendar date changed?

> By looking at my clock set using UTC, which is, at present, connected

> to the rotation of the earth, and thus to days.

> The draft revision of ITU-R TF.460 removes the connection between UTC

> and the rotation of the earth,

Correct up to this point.

> thus disconnecting the civil calendar date from the sun.

Incorrect, because the civil calendar is tied to local solar time using
the time zone system. Local civil time is not going to move out of sync
with the sun, and therefore the calendar will also remain in sync.

Tony.
--
f.anthony.n.finch <dot at dotat.at> http://dotat.at/
Sole, Lundy, Fastnet, Irish Sea, Shannon: West 7 to severe gale 9,