[LEAPSECS] What is GMT?

mike cook michael.cook at sfr.fr
Thu Jan 5 02:59:50 EST 2012

Le 05/01/2012 06:36, Harlan Stenn a écrit :

> ntpd can easily track SI seconds or "angle time" seconds. The

> differences are small enough over a day to be easily amortized.

> It would not be all that difficult to create an NTPv5 protocol (for

> example) that would include "timescale" as a parameter. There may be a

> way to do this using the v4 protocol, but I haven't thought about it at

> all.

> But that's pretty easy - there are other issues afoot here, like

> regardless of how one syncs time between machines, if one collects a

> timestamp on a box, what timescale is that timestamp in?

NTP4 already has extension field capability which could be used to
identify and define the alternate scale data.
I was thinking along the lines that the reference, originate, receive
and transmit timestamps be kept as now ( UTC in whatever form) so that
if no extension in the packet, nothing to do. The transmitted scale(s)
would be piggybacked in extensions as an offset / frequency change to
get to next alternate timescale tick, and on a per client basis. Up to
the admin via ntp.conf to say what he wants to use . All managed scales
would be transmitted. As there is usually only one hardware TSC/timer
and RTC pair in a machine , those would need to be occupied by the
chosen scale and served packets have their UTC fields reverse mapped
from the TSC/timer data and managed alternate scale parameters. I guess,
multiple alternate scales could be managed if the UDP packet space allows.

> What about storing these timestamps? Displaying their values?

> Comparing them with other timestamps from possibly different timescales?

ntp management utilities would need new options to list display and
compare alternate timescale data.