[LEAPSECS] Bulletin C number 43

Poul-Henning Kamp phk at phk.freebsd.dk
Fri Jan 6 02:10:34 EST 2012

In message <CF174AA5-6F65-421C-B5B9-5BFB76621DD4 at noao.edu>, Rob Seaman writes:

>I had been expecting one this December just past, not next.

Indeed, but I notice three details:

This leapsecond is scheduled on a saturday, if they had used december past
it would have been one of the more special fridays in the year, so it
may be a concern for minimizing impact on commerce.

This leapsecond was announced much later than usual.

This leapsecond was scheduled before the ITU-R meeting, to happen after.

Pure conspiracy theory:

"We don't want a leapsecond right before ITU-R, some people might
get emotional, but we want them to concentrate on the topic..."

phk at FreeBSD.ORG | TCP/IP since RFC 956
FreeBSD committer | BSD since 4.3-tahoe