[LEAPSECS] Straw men

Dennis Ferguson dennis.c.ferguson at gmail.com
Tue Jan 10 00:19:30 EST 2012

On 10 Jan, 2012, at 05:38 , Michael Sokolov wrote:

> Clive D.W. Feather <clive at davros.org> wrote:

>> I don't need Universal Time,

> But I do. By what right are you seeking to take it away from me?

> MS

If the requirement is for UT I don't think anyone is taking it away
from you, in fact it seems like the opposite. By the time leap
seconds stop you should be able to get UT1 directly, with high precision,
from your satellite navigation receiver, so you can keep time directly
in UT1 rather than using a rough approximation.

This seems like a win all over since you not only can keep UT time more
accurately but you can do so in a way which eliminates leaps (rubberized
or not) altogether.

Dennis Ferguson