[LEAPSECS] pick your own length of second

Rob Seaman seaman at noao.edu
Wed Jan 11 22:33:50 EST 2012

Maybe we should inaugurate a monthly feature similar to:

http://www.scientificamerican.com/department.cfm?id=50-100-and-150-years-ago

Something like "5, 10 & 15 years ago on LEAPSECS" :-)

At some point during the First Dynasty (http://www.ucolick.org/~sla/navyls/)* there was a thread that explored several variations of this. I thought the repetitively jump forward one month and jump backward the next was pretty good.

Rob

* To put that in perspective, the Sphinx is Fourth Dynasty. Tut was the 18th. Cleo, the 32nd. One might opine that whatever happens next week in Geneva this conversation is not nearing an end. If the current LEAPSECS is the Second Dynasty, then the timekeeping equivalent of the Step Pyramid of Djoser (Third Dynasty) remains in our future, as well as the perfected technology of the Great Pyramid of Khufu in the Fourth.