[LEAPSECS] pick your own length of second

Rob Seaman seaman at noao.edu
Thu Jan 12 09:20:44 EST 2012

Ian Batten wrote:

> Dennis Ferguson wrote:

>> If we had a leap second every other week we'd have gotten so much real life practice that depending on the code and procedures to handle the leap wouldn't seem so scary.

> It would mean that everything that relies on interval timing would need to understand leap seconds, however, which currently they (in general) don't.

It would mean what it's always meant, that applications relying on interval timing should choose an interval time scale, not redefine an Earth orientation time scale.

GPS is available. TAI is available.

This is a topic that has been discussed here many times. We should build on those previous discussions, not repeat them.

Rob