[LEAPSECS] an Emmy for ITU-R

Steve Allen sla at ucolick.org
Mon Jan 16 00:44:55 EST 2012

The ITU-R is going to win an Emmy
http://voicendata.ciol.com/content/news1/112011308.asp
so the National Academy of Television Arts and Sciences
is doing the backtracking to the source.

The news that most folks in the US have heard is about the CALM act
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commercial_Advertisement_Loudness_Mitigation_Act
What that does is to incorporate by reference ATSC A/85:2011
http://www.atsc.org/cms/standards/a_85-2011a.pdf
What that does is to reiterate ITU-R BS.1770
http://www.itu.int/rec/R-REC-BS.1770/en

If I'm not mistaken congress wanted to regulate commercial volume
around 20 years ago, but at that point the broadcasters pointed to
particular metrics for volume by which there was no difference.
I have no idea when ITU-R started work on BS.1770, but it was getting
an international agreement on that which enabled the rest of this story.

--
Steve Allen <sla at ucolick.org> WGS-84 (GPS)
UCO/Lick Observatory--ISB Natural Sciences II, Room 165 Lat +36.99855