[LEAPSECS] ISO TC 37

Daniel R. Tobias dan at tobias.name
Tue Jan 17 08:26:21 EST 2012

On 17 Jan 2012 at 10:12, Ian Batten wrote:

> Which is a deal breaker, because whatever a country adopts as civil

> time, that's going to be the primary payload on its national

> broadcast standards

And what if some countries use a solar-time-based standard and some
an atomic-time-based one (as is actually the case with current law),
and hence some broadcast a leapless scale and others either continue
leap seconds or use some other scheme to keep their broadcasts in
approximate sync with UT1? Then we'd have a complex worldwide
situation where different countries' civil times are no longer round
multiples of hours (or occasionally half or quarter hours) from each
other, but vary by seconds (or maybe even fractions of seconds if the
solar-based countries go back to rubber seconds).

--
== Dan ==