[LEAPSECS] ISO TC 37

Poul-Henning Kamp phk at phk.freebsd.dk
Tue Jan 17 15:59:16 EST 2012

In message <687E600B-E3AF-42C1-8D4F-24B8851A3B2B at bsdimp.com>, Warner Losh write
s:

>The ITU standard is the standard for radio broadcast time. That's

>why everybody broadcasts UTC (+/- some fixed offset) today. To

>conform with international standards, they would broadcast the new

>timescale.

Well, there it gets "interesting".

A lot of technical treaties and regulations say UTC in no uncertain words,
for instance in air-space regulations. I am pretty certain that creating
a new timescale and mandating its transmission over for instance WWV[B] and
DCF77 would give a lot of interesting issues where ATC facilities are
time synchronized to the new scale, but should have been to the UTC scale.

I can't imagine any delegate to the ITU being stupid enough to put his
name on that idea.

phk at FreeBSD.ORG | TCP/IP since RFC 956
FreeBSD committer | BSD since 4.3-tahoe